The Midland Railway Company (MR)
Royal Assent to Midland Railway Act.
Oakham Canal Company purchased by the Midland Railway Co.
Building started on the Syston - Peterborough Line (Midland Railway Co.)
Syston. Peterborough line opened. Stations in Rutland - Whissendine
(1966), Oakham, Manton (1966), Luffenham (Also used by L&NW - 1966), Ketton
(Also used by L&NW - 1966).
No station in Langham Parish.
Manton - Kettering line opened. Stations in Rutland – Manton (1966). Welland Valley
crossed by Seaton Viaduct - 1286 yds long, 69 ft. high, 82 arches of 40 ft. span, clear
width 24 ft. 16 million bricks used in construction. This line is now used for freight
traffic with occasional main line passenger diversions.
The London and North Western Railway (L&NW)
Rugby- Peterborough line opened. Stations in Rutland - Luffenham Junction (MR – 1966),
Morcott (1966), Seaton Junction (1966) , Rockingham for Caldecott
Seaton - Yarwell Junction opened. Stations in Rutland - Wakerley [Northamptonshire]
Uppingham Branch opened. Stations in Rutland - Seaton (1966), Uppingham (1960).
The Great Northern Railway (GN)
Peterborough - Grantham line opened. Stations in Rutland - Essendine (1959). This line
runs through the eastern tip of Rutland
The Stamford and Essendine Railway (S&E)
Stamford - Essendine line opened. Stations in Rutland - Essendine (1959), Ryhall and
Belmesthorpe (1959). This railway was leased by GN in 1893 and taken into the LNER at
grouping in 1923.
Village of Whissendine is in Rutland. Whissendine Station was about 2.5km north of the village, which
was sufficient to place it over the county border into Leicestershire.
The village of Caldecott is in Rutland. Rockingham Station was on the immediate outskirts Caldecott on
the Rockingham road, which placed it over the county border into Northamptonshire.
This station was located in Northamptonshire and served the two villages on opposite side of the
River Welland, which is the county boundary.
NB. Dates in italic after a station name show the year of closure.
Middle section of the Seaton/Harringworth Viaduct with flooded Welland beneath
Langham Village History Group ~ © 1996 - 2022